Sunday, April 22, 2007

LIFE IS GOOD

The day is as gray & bleak as I feel. A day stuck halfway betwixt winter & spring. There is a moment of respite as I pout, waiting in the parking lot of the grocery store. This car is way too small for the two of us, and I'm more than relieved to have it to myself. Stewing, I am. Stewing because HE loves to talk yet can't seem to listen. Stewing because I haven't been able to complete one sentence in the past hour and a half.

A flock of people leave the store. One catches my eye. A man. Jaunty, attractive, young, he has a special spring to his step. The eye-catching part is the two bouquets of lush flowers coned in sparkling plastic.

Not one but TWO.

What sort of guy buys two big bouquets?

What in the world is he up to?

There is an intensity about this guy as he heads for the car directly infront of me. Tis a small red Chrysler, not old, not new. The bucket seats are covered in a grayish fake fur. The two bouquets do not go together. They are altogether different, not a mix & match sort of deal.

He opens the car door, and doesn't get in.

Instead, he gently lays a rainbow of spring flowers on the driver's seat, and closes the door.

My curiosity is ablaze as he sprints to his Pearly Silver Truck, clutching fancy purple lilies, and peals out.

What in the world?

Rather than heading for the exit, he slithers alongside the building, backing into an employee parking spot.

Oh my, I'm the voyeur extraordinaire.

I can barely see him, as he lies in wait.

In my mind's eye, a lovely young woman comes out of the store. Does he know her?

Well, he must if he leaves flowers in her car. He wouldn't be stalking some stranger florally, could he? She will push her cart to the car, and voila! A smile of delight springs to her lips. In my mind's eye.

My focus flickers between the storefront, and my mysteryman.

A dowdy woman with a bunch of little kids. nope.

A graying lady carrying a loaf of bread. nope.

A cluster of nondescript folk dispersing in all directions.

I look back at the stalker, and am alarmed to see him pulling out of his spot. Did I miss something? I have not seen any gorgeous young babes, the sort that find flowers bestowed so impulsively.

My attention is jerked back by the ancient old man who totters before me.He is leaning heavily upon his cane as his gnarled fingers struggle with the car door. My eyes move sideways, directly into the eyes of the kind young man who has pulled into the fire lane & stopped. The range of emotions that cross his face are earthshattering. In the end though, the one that shouts out is LOVE.

There is a movement of red as the old man finally opens the door. I am transfixed as he starts into the car, and then jerks back in confusion. His head snaps up, looking about with the most amazing expression on his face. I look as well, only to catch a flash of silver curling into traffic, a minnow in a stream.

This gentleman is stunned. And baffled. He blinks big huge blinks behind thick glasses, as if something would appear to him if he could only blink hard enough. His lips open and close, like a hungry guppy. Finally, he bobs down to pick up the flowers, holding them to his face as he pulls himself upright again. He looks about one last time, then back at the flowers.

It is now apparent that the blinking is essential as he wipes the tears from his cheeks. He stands for the longest time, looking deep inside to a space that is only his. I feel so honored to be here. So moved by this simple display of humanity. And then he slowly folds himself into the car, and drives out of my life.

Well, isn't that something? In just a few moments I've been humbled, seen the good side of people. My faith is restored, and I am suddenly contrite at how selfish & shallow I'd been. I smile to myself as I see my partner emerge from the store. Oh, there is a simple human level that we all share. Life is too short to hold grudges.

Rick ducks into the car, package in hand, and turns the key. I look at him, eager to share what I've seen. "guess what." I begin to say. "SHUT UP," he barks, " I NEED TO THINK!" I shrivel back into myself, nurtured by the simple little drama that I've witnessed. Life is good. Yep, life is good.

No comments: