Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Cheesy Goodness

May 30, 2004

"The weather brewing this morning is stygian, the wind buffeting the trees about in a most dramatic fashion, and the atmosphere is oppressively foreboding. I am beginning to think that summer will never arrive. It is brisk within, I chanced opening my windows a few moments ago and the parachute ballooned like the mainsail on a schooner.. tis bone-chilling, and no relief in sight. I refuse to turn the heat on.

Teale took my bedding today to Anoush's to wash, it has been all too long, and my simple frocks as well. I have but a thin cotton sheet to contain my nakedness, my shivers a pathetic attempt to generate heat. Golly has preferred the company of Mollea this morn, they at least are warmly snuggled within her thick fuzzy blanket. I should have kept my comforter, but it begged to be washed and I could not disagree... twas much needed.

I had a huge mug of bitter hot chocolate for breakfast, favoring unsweetened beverages... sugar is not the way to begin my day. I loath syrup, preferring tomatoes with salt and lots of pepper on my pancakes and French toast, or grated (pungent) cheese. M'thinks I got this quirk from my mom, aka Ooma... she who uses cold slabs of butter, like cheese, on her toast."

Today; May 8, 2007

Speaking of pungent cheese, we picked some up a month or so ago at the Weyauwega Star Cheese Outlet in Weyauwega (WI). If you live within range, it's well worth an excursion to this eclectic store. Besides a vast array of cheeses at appealing prices, they stock Mexican groceries (great tortillas, chips, & tostada shells), flash frozen fruits, gaudy souvenirs, and gigantic creamy ice-cream cones that the local folks line up for.

I have not yet met a cheese too gross... Used to spend my allowance at Gerber's Cheese, Main st. Hartford, in the 60's. Hilda was a ballsy German lady with a great accent & the Koch Kaise she sold me on Saturday mornings was a ripe snotty nasty caraway ridden glop that I was absolutely addicted to, scooped out of the container with penny pretzel rods whilst window shopping... finger licken good stuff.

So we journeyed to Widmer's in Theresa and picked up a whole mess of overly aged Brick on clearance. Each piece was sturdily shrink wrapped, the gasses had ballooned each to a comical degree, and I bought all they had for a buck apiece. Lasted me for years, they remained inflated at the back of the fridge patiently stewing in their own juices. It's a wonder these cheesebombs did not detonate. I wonder what the record oldest edible cheese is? That stuff was pretty rank. hee hee

Another trip to Weyauwega Star Dairy coming up this weekend, time to restock... the perfect excuse for a mini road trip. We are the ultimate Cheeseheads... Cheese is indeed a religion here in Wisconsin.  Also favored, the outlet store in Gibbsville. They have some super duper bargains including their "Mystery Cheese" at $1.50 a pound, which are the transitory mixes that happen when they switch from one batch to the next. yup yup
Smooch
Auntie Hattie

No comments: